Registration of divorce

NOTE! If the marriage was solemnised and terminated abroad and the marriage had not been registered in Hungary yet, the two applications (registration of marriage and divorce) should be submitted together. One appointment (for registration of marriage/divorce) is sufficient for submitting both applications.For general information about registration procedure please visit the following link on our website: “Registration of marriage”. To book an appointment please click here.

Necessary documents:

  • original Hungarian marriage certificate;
  • final court order on the divorce (aka. Absolute decree);
  • Hungarian translation of the court order (in case the court order was issued by a country other than the UK please contact us by e-mail or by phone before submitting your application);
  • copy of the birth certificate of the Hungarian national;
  • filled in and signed application form that can be downloaded at the bottom of this page;
  • proof of Hungarian nationality of the Hungarian nationals;
  • proof of ID and nationality for non-Hungarians;
  • Brussel II certificate (if the marriage was dissolved within the EU after 1 May 2004);
  • Consular fee (for information about the fees please visit the following link on our website: “Consular fees”).

Hungarian translation of the court order:
Translation might be done with the assistance of the translators listed on our website  („Honorary Consuls, translators, Notaries Public”) or should be done by the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation LTD in Hungary (

The Consulate does not prepare translations!

If the original document is not in English only translations made by the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation LTD or translations verified by the competent Hungarian Embassies are acceptable.

Brussel II certificate is referred to in Article 39 of Council Regulation 8 EC No. 2201/2003 of 27 November 2003 concerning judgments in matrimonial matters - D180 form can be downloaded from: .

  • Translation of this form to Hungarian is not necessary.


Form for registration of divorce
Form for change of married name