The eID card is a permanent ID card issued from 1 January 2016 that has a storage element (chip) which allows its holder to use a number of electronic convenience services: e.g. e-government, e-signature, public transport, ePrescription, etc. The range of functions is constantly expanding and details can be found at 

Only Hungarian citizens can apply for an ID card and only permanent ID cards can be requested. It is not possible to apply for a temporary ID card at a consulate.

The permanent ID card can be renewed or replaced in the following circumstances: change in personal data, expiration of validity, error of fact or if the card gets lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.

It is possible to renew the ID card that is about to expire no sooner than 60 days before the date of expiration.

1.) Application process

ID card application can be submitted only in person by prior appointment. Appointments can be made online at

Those minor applicants who have turned 14 can apply for an ID card on their own (without the presence of a parent).

At your appointment you are required to present the following documents:

  • valid permanent ID card or an ID card that expired not more than 1 year ago;
  • Hungarian passport or a passport that expired not more than 1 year ago;
  • address card (lakcímkártya)
  • birth certificate or marriage certificate

If you possess a valid Hungarian ID card, yet you are unable to present them during the procedure, your application for the ID card will not be accepted, except if the valid document has been lost or stolen. In this case, you have to give a declaration about the fact that the card was stolen or lost. Your declaration will be drawn up in an official report at the Consulate.

In case you do not have a valid Hungarian ID card or passport, you have to present either one of the following documents:

  • valid foreign ID card or passport
  • valid Hungarian or foreign driving license card (provisional driving license won't be accepted)

In case the applicant is under the age of 14, the approval of both parents is required for the submission of the application, as well as the birth certificate of the child. Both parents have to present their valid identity documents.

If upon the submission of the application only one parent is present, the legally binding decision of the court concerning the ceasing or suspension of the other parent’s custody rights must be presented. If such document is not available, the absent parent’s (or legal representative’s) written and authorized consent to the application must be attached. The consent must be authorized by a notary, or a divisional (or capital) bureau for the protection of children and guardianship department of the capital or county-level government agency, or the director of the penal institution, or consular officer; OR must be written by hand and singed, or written by computer and signed by the parent and by two witnesses.

In case the applicant is under age of 6, a recent photo of the child is required. The photo shall be taken with a white background by a professional photographer. Minors who are less than 6 year old are not required to be present at the appointment.

The old ID card must be taken. Valid ID cards are given back for use until the arrival of the new document. However, in this case the new ID card can only be taken after handing over of the old document at the Consulate.

Upon the submission of the application, your photofingerprints and signature are digitally recorded.

Fingerprints will not be recorded if:

  • the Hungarian citizen is under age of 6;
  • the applicant is physically unable to give fingerprints

2.) Codes and passwords

Upon the submission of the application the applicant is given a PIN envelope that contains the PIN code and PUK code of the Electronic ID card. Once you have received the ID card, you can create a Governmental Client Gate (Ügyfélkapu) profile online at using your PIN code. The PIN code is necessary for some of the Hungary-based services provided by the E-ID card. The PIN code can be changed once the E-ID card is handed over to the owner. Services provided by the E-ID card are not available without the activation of the PIN code. However, the document can be used for travelling and personal identification even without the activation of the PIN code.

Please note that in case you lose the PIN envelope before receiving the new ID card, the Consulate will not be able to initiate an application for a new PIN code, as it can be requested only in the government document offices located in Hungary. Likewise, the Consulate has no competence in the re-activation of the blocked PUK code, either.

Services provided by the E-ID card: registration of social security number (TAJ-szám), tax number, and the phone number of an emergency contact.

Upon submission of the application for an E-ID card, the consul checks the database in order to find out whether the applicant has a registered social security number (TAJ-szám) and tax ID. In case the query returns no results, the social security and tax ID will not be recorded on the storage unit of the E-ID card. In case you possess a social security card (TAJ-kártya) or a tax card, make sure you have both of the documents on you at the time of your appointment.

You can request the registration of the phone number of an emergency contact either together with your application for the ID card or after having received your new ID card. It is possible to register two phone numbers.

3.) Payment

The Electronic ID card application is for free of charge.

4.) Duration of the procedure

The new documents arrive to the Consulate within 5-8 weeks after the date of application. 

5.) The validity of the E-ID card

In case the cardholder is over 18 years of age, the ID card has a validity of 6 years and expires on the birthday of the owner.

In case the cardholder is over 12 years of age, but has not yet turned 18, the ID card has a validity of 3 years and expires on the birthday of the owner.

In case the cardholder has not yet turned 12, the ID card is valid for 3 years and expires on the birthday of the owner or on the day the owner turns 12. (For instance, if the date of issue is 20 January 2017 and the birthday of the owner is on 5th April, the E-ID card will expire on 5th April 2020, except if the owner turns to 12 before 5 April, 2020.)

Those who are over 65 years of age can request an ID card without an expiry date. ID cards without an expiry date have no storage units; the date of expiry is established as 1st January of the 60th year after the date of issue.

6.) Rejection

The application can be rejected if:

  • the applicant is not registered in the personal data and address information database;
  • if the applicant has a passive record in the personal data and address information database (for instance because formerly having settled abroad);
  • the applicant has failed to register an event (marriage, divorce) happened abroad which caused the change of the name (for instance, she has taken her husband’s surname);
  • a travel ban has been imposed on the applicant.

The applicant can lodge an appeal against the negative decision within 15 days. The appeal must be submitted to the consulate where the negative decision has been made. The appeal must be explained.

It is not possible to request an electronic signature (E-sign) at the consulates. It can be applied after having received the E-ID card online or personally at any government office located in Hungary.