Updated on 2 December 2020
In line with the measures of the British government to reduce the spread of coronavirus (Covid-19), the consular section of the Hungarian Embassy in London and the Consulate General in Manchester limited its consular services. Emergency services remain available for Hungarian nationals and by appointment only. Appointmens shall be booked --> online
*** The following summary is intended to serve as general information for those planning a trip to Hungary. Detailed rules and requirements are available in the relevant Act and government decree. For further information in English please check the websites of the competent Hungarian authorities listed on the bottom of this page. Should you have further question, please contact the official COVID-hotline in Hungary at firstname.lastname@example.org or 003615501825 ***
As of 1 September, the Hungarian government introduced new entry requirements in order to prevent the import of the coronavirus from abroad. Border control has been temporarily reintroduced at the Austrian, Slovenian and Slovak border sections and at internal air border crossing points. Border crossing is only possible at designated border crossing points which are listed on the website of the Hungarian Police (see link below)
As a general rule, foreign nationals are not allowed to enter Hungary. The following categories are exempted:
- Family member of a Hungarian citizen (official documentation, such as birth / marriage certificate may be required at the border);
- Persons entitled to permanent residence in Hungary (and their family members), provided that they can present their permanent residence card at the border;
- Persons holding a valid permit to reside for more than 90 days within the territory of Hungary issued by the immigration authority, who present the document upon entering the country;
- Military convoys;
- Business travellers between affiliated undertakings under certain circumstances;
- Cross-border workers (citizens of, and Hungarian citizens living in, neighbouring states shall be entitled to enter the territory of Hungary to stay within 30 kilometres of the state border for a period of no more than 24 hours);
- Those who are travelling to Hungary to perform business or economic activity (and are able to credibly attest this at the border)
- Competitors or sport professionals of a Hungarian sport organization in accordance with the Sports Act, if he/she enters the territory of Hungary after participating in an international sports event organised abroad;
- Participants in an internaional sports event organised in Hungary, provided that, at the time of the entry, they hold 2 negative PCR test results in Hungarian or English language, carried out within 5 days with at least 48 hours apart;
- Persons who have a personal letter of invitation issued by the official organiser of a sports competition held in Hungary, provided that, at the time of the entry, they hold 2 negative PCR test results in Hungarian or English language, carried out within 5 days with at least 48 hours apart;
- Persons who arrive at the invitation of a Hungarian sports organisation or national sports association as a competitor or sports technician or a person assisting in the conduct of the sports competition, provided that, at the time of the entry, they hold 2 negative PCR test results in Hungarian or English language, carried out within 5 days with at least 48 hours apart;
- Persons who participate in a cultural event organised in Hungary, as a performer or a member of the technical staff, provided that, at the time of the entry, they hold 2 negative PCR test results in Hungarian or English language, carried out within 5 days with at least 48 hours apart;
- A spectator of an international sports event or a cultural event organised in Hungary, provided that, at the time of the entry, they hold the ticket authorising him to attend the event and a negative PCR test results in Hungarian or English language, carried out within 3 days before entry and they leave the territory of Hungary within 72 hours of entry;
- Transit (including air transit and land transit through the humanitarian travel corridor - see below), provided that they undergo health screening upon entry and the health screening dodes not establish suspicion of the infection;
- Border-crossing freight traffic;
- Persons who can provide credible evidence that have recovered from Covid-19 within six months before entering Hungary (a positive and a negative PCR /swab test is required);
- Border crossing with an official passport;
- Official visits (the purpose shall be proved with documents);
Those who are not exempted automatically may apply for a special entry permit to the Hungarian Police. The police may allow entry if the applicant provides evidence that the objective of entry is:
- participating in court or other authority proceedings;
- accessing healthcare services on the basis of a referral;
- fulfilling a study or examination obligation, with certification from an education institution;
- reaching the point of departure for cargo-related transit;
- participation in family events, e.g. wedding, funeral, baptism;
- caring for or nursing a relative as defined in the Hungarian Civil Code;
- participating in church events of major international importance
- any legitimate reason other than those specified above
Applications shall be submitted online directly to the Police at http://www.police.hu/en/content/equity-request-to-enter-hungary
If you need a visa to enter Hungary, please check the "Visa information" part of our website.
All people entering Hungary may be subject of a medical examination for COVID-19 (including a brief interview and temperature screening). Unless resident in Hungary, foreign nationals will be denied entry should they show signs of COVID-19.
Those who are not suspected of being infected will need to self-isolate for 10 days, or until they produce two negative PCR/swab tests within 5 days but at least 48 hours apart. Only tests performed in Hungary can be accepted. For the list of medical centres where PCR/ swab tests are available, please click -->here. Home tests are also available. Please note that children are not exempted from the testing requirement. In case the foreign national has no place of residence in Hungary, they must enter quarantine at a government - designated location.
To facilitate smooth entry, Airport Police Directorate ask passengers to complete the Quarantine form ---> online prior to their arrival. The online form is available both in Hungarian and English. The English version can be also downloaded --> here however it is highly recommended to complete it online.
The quarantine subject shall travel directly to the location of the quarantine after entering Hungary; he/she shall only be allowed to interrupt the journey for health, technical or, if traveling by public transport, timetable-related reasons. After arriving to the location of the self-isolation the red sign (provided to him by the police upon entry) shall be placed on the front door of the quarantine flat in a manner that is clearly visible to all. Please note that self-isolation is legally enforceable (authorities perform regular checks) and those who brake the rules may be fined. The police might perform regular on-site visits to check if selt-isolation rules are respected.
For direct contact details of local police please click --> here (only available in Hungarian).
Transiting through Hungary
*** Should you have further question, please contact the official COVID-hotline in Hungary at email@example.com or 003615501825*